Explore

History

PROJECTS COMPLETED SINCE 2010

Image

Aircraft Rescue Fire Fighting (ARFF)

These vehicles, and other firefighting equipment, are used for fire suppression crash rescue in the event of an aircraft emergency. These trucks are a critical part of CCIA's Emergency response and are operated by the airport Public Safety Division.

Image

Rehabilitation & Reconstruction Improvements of Commercial and General Aviation Aprons

With safety and efficiency always in mind, these projects represent the culmination of ten years of improvements on the airfield. The projects include major infrastructure improvements on runways, taxiways and aprons and are possible because of the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) which funds 90% of the costs. During normal years, the airport matches the other 10%.

Image

FedEx

The airport welcomed its first tenant into the International Business Center in 2021. The facility was built by a private development company and then leased to Fed Ex for its ground shipping operation in Corpus Christi.

Image

New Security Barrier

Completed in 2018, CCIA has enhanced security around the airport by installing 9 miles of fence that is 8 feet high, includes a concrete base to ward off wildlife, and includes all new gates with state-of-the-art security monitoring equipment. This project was funded by the FAA at 90% with a 10% match from the airport.
Image

Taxiway Kilo Extension

This project was completed in 2017. Taxiway Kilo was extended by 300 feet, offering a connection from the northwest sections of the airfield to the runway system at CCIA. In the future, Taxiway Kilo will be further extended to the west beyond the US Coast Guard facility.
Image

East GA & Terminal Apron

This project included the removal of 200,000 square yards of asphalt apron which was replaced with reinforced concrete. These apron projects were phased for operational access..
Image

Quick Turn Around Rental Car Facility (QTA)

This is a consolidated maintenance facility for the rental car companies that do business at the airport. This facility allows the companies to operate from one central location where they maintain, repair, wash and prepare vehicles for rent to the public. The facility is being paid for with a Customer Facility Charge (CFC) which is a fee that is paid exclusively by customers who rent vehicles here at CCIA.
Image

Federal Inspection Services rehabilitation

The FIS is located inside the Hayden W. Head Terminal and has been open for business since 2012. The expansion created more space for the federal clearing of international flights at the airport. Current capacity at the FIS is about 200 passengers an hour. The expanded FIS puts the airport in a better position to lure international flights in to CCIA. The FAA funded this project with a 5% match by the airport.
Image

Communications Center

The Airport Communications Center is now larger and better equipped to help keep things safe around the airport. Contractors completed several security upgrades that were paid for by the Department of Homeland Security and the Federal Aviation Administration. The improvements include new cameras, new monitors, remodeling and expansion of the space where the dispatchers operate, a new generator for keeping things running during the event of a power outage and new lighting on the tarmac.

The Comm Center is really the nerve center for all communications between airport dispatchers and employees, federal agencies, the airlines and even at times, members of the general public. Airport dispatchers are constantly monitoring traffic on the airfield, the movement of public safety officers and maintenance crews, and the details of any kind of incident on airport property. The Communications Center will be ground zero for getting the appropriate emergency assistance to the right locations.

Image

Runway Safety and Taxiway Reconfiguration Project

This was a five-year project that eliminated a potential safety issue on the airfield and upgraded the design of CCIA’s taxiway system, as well as the lighting and aviation equipment that aids pilots in safe landings at the airport. Both runways were extended on the north ends, while decommissioning the south ends to eliminate the threat of incursions in the “V” configuration.

New Airfield and Maintenance Facility

This facility was opened in 2011 and is home base for airport mechanics and maintenance crews that repair airport vehicles, public safety vehicles, fire trucks, mowers and other airport equipment. It’s a 10,000 square foot facility that has a deep oil pit, a 6.5-ton engine hoist, a fuel yard, high power washers, office and storage space and the capacity to offer cover and protection of important assets. The facility also has special netting in the ceiling to prevent birds from nesting in the rafters. The building was funded by the FAA with a 5% match from the airport.